Old World or New, Sacred or Profane

Sunday, March 16, 2008

D-I-Y 5-string conversion. Gottagogottit

Yes, as Gottagopractice figured out on my previous post, I have converted my old laminate cello to a 5-string: CGDAE. She noticed the lack of vibrato on the E. What I think is also telling is the sympathetic vibration of the E string when playing As and Es on other strings. It's more noticeable between the notes. I made the recordings with Audacity and the sympathetic vibration is much more pronounced in the original recording format. The export to MP3 makes those subtleties harder to hear.

While I thought I preferred a dark cello (and I'm told my other cello is particularly dark), I find I do rather enjoy the brightness that the E string gives most of the notes on this cello.

Yes, I'm using the original nut, fingerboard, and bridge, with the strings squeezed together more and extending to the side more.

Pictures to come, but maybe not for a few days.

BTW, the cello broke in the attempt and required an unorthodox fix. All will be revealed.

1 comment:

Vegan Recipes said...

This is a great post thankss